It is essential for a person to understand that Sexual abuse is a serious crime in Maryland. In Maryland sexual abuse is covered under 3rd subtitle of “Title 3”. The Maryland Criminal law code convicts majority of assaulters for attempting a felony, which results in harsh punishments such as life imprisonment. Even if you are convicted to a shorter imprisonment, it wouldn’t be easy to continue living a normal life with a record of sexual abuse and felony. It is practically impossible for a person to continue with their job, family life or in any child custody case, if they are charged for attempting a sexual abuse in Maryland. If you are falsely accused for any sex crime you should immediately contact Maryland Sexual Abuse Lawyer to get rid of the false charges.
Understanding Sexual Abuse
It is crucial to understand what acts are included in sexual abuse by the Maryland. With the recent increase of 75% in the sexual abuse cases in Maryland, the law enforcement authority have further constricted the punishments of sexual abuse. According to Maryland’s Criminal Law, sexual abuse is divided into four different levels. Sexual abuse, which is also known as sexual assault in other states, can take many forms other than penetration. Touching someone’s intimate parts unintentionally or a misunderstood friendly tap can even label you as a sex abuser. Sexual contact can include intentional contact over the clothes with the intimate parts of other individual without their consent. In such cases Maryland sexual abuse lawyer can help you prove your innocence in the court.
Punishments of Sexual Abuse in Maryland
There are 4 degree of sexual abuse in Maryland and each degree carries different punishments.
- First-degree Sexual Abuse: According to section 3 – 305 involving someone to perform sexual activity by force, threat or without their consent is considered as first-degree sexual abuse.
- Punishments: The person is charged with felony which can lead them to life
- Second Degree Sexual Abuse: According to section 3 – 306 involving someone to perform illegal sexual activity with a mentally or physically incapable person by forcing them, threatening them.
- Punishments: The person is charged with felony which would lead them to maximum 20 years of imprisonment.
- Third Degree Sexual Abuse: According to section 3 – 307 involving someone to perform illegal sexual activity in the following circumstances will lead them to third-degree sexual abuse:
- If the victim is small than 14 years old and the assaulter is 4 years old
- If the victim is 14 years old and the offender is 21 years old
- Punishments: The person is charged with felony which would lead them to maximum ten years of imprisonment.
- Fourth Degree Sexual Abuse: According to section 3 – 308 misusing the power of the authority to engage a minor in illegal sexual activity.
- Punishments: The person is charged with misdemeanor which would lead them to maximum one-year imprisonment and a fine of maximum $1000.
How can Maryland sexual abuse lawyer help you?
If you are facing any sex crime charges, it is best that you contact Maryland sexual abuse lawyer immediately. The experienced lawyers can prepare you to defend your case properly against the strict prosecutors of Maryland.